A few weeks ago, a client of mine wanted a way of notifying intranet users of new functionality. Now of course you can show some sort of message in the middle of the intranet homepage, but we wanted something more like a ‘Facebook / Google’ experience.
If there is a new piece of functionality, the visitor should get a nice looking notification at the top of the screen, even if he’s not on the homepage.
So, how to go about this? I wanted the administrator to have several options:
- He should be able to show a notification one time only or multiple times.
- The notification should have a:
- ‘Close’ button if it’s a one time only notification
- ‘Remind me later’ button for recurring notifications
- ‘Go to’ button which will take the visitor to a specified URL
We start off with the creation of a Notifications list which will enable the administrator to add notifications in a simple way.
Please note that I wrote this functionality for SharePoint 2010 but I’m sure it will work in SharePoint 2013 as well…