Today, I was struggling with a SharePoint intranet, trying to get the Help working.
Starting from a standard English SharePoint Server installation, we installed Dutch, German and French. The intranet is running at a dutch customer, so all sites are created by default in dutch. Employees, working at offices abroad, can change the display language to their preferred language (English, German or French).
I started looking for answers on the internet and came up with a Microsoft support article and a blogpost by Peter Gerritsen, which looked the most promising. Unfortunately, the recommended actions didn’t work in my case :(.
Fiddling around with the settings, I got the Help content to display. Here are the steps I took:
- Go to Site Settings > Language Settings > Turn on English (remember the sitecollection was Dutch by default).
- Check the Help content: Dutch help still doesn’t work…
- Select the English display language for the site via your personal menu
- Click Help again > English Help content is shown!
- Select Dutch display language again
- Click Help again > Well, I’ll be…! It now displays Dutch Help content…
Just to be sure:
- Go to Site Settings > Language Settings > turn off English
- Click Help > It STILL works in dutch!
Now, why this eventually works, I have no idea… Any suggestions?!
By the way, I’ve noticed that doing this for 1 sitecollection corrects the Help content isse for all sitecollections in that webapplication, so the issue is a webapp level issue.